1. Tell us about yourself! (Anything you want to share!)
- I have been a manager in the food-industry both retail and wholesale. Currently, I am the wedding and catering specialist for Katella. I have always loved working with people and most of all I love cake!
2. When did you start your business?
- This business was started by the Ratman Family in 1964, after the original owner immigrated from Europe after the war
3. What got you into desserts? What do you specialize?
- The passion of baking and being able to share a sweet experience with everyone. We specialize in everything from Apple Pie to Zucchini loaves.
4. What does a typical day look like for you at work?
- We are open 364 days a year, I and many other employees are always bust, especially during the holidays throughout the year.
5. Do you cater to weddings and other events? If so, how many do you do in a month?
- Yes, we cater to weddings, business, and social events, just about anywhere people get together. Besides cakes and desserts, we offer a full menu catering of meats, salads and breads. We deliver cakes/desserts every day.
6. What is the best part of your job?
- The best part of my job is the reaction that a couple or family gets when they come to pick up their cake. Most people think that cake is cake, but here we turn cake into an art form. It is the center attention of every event, and most of all it is the talk of the town.
7. How long does it take to design and create a cake? What other products do you offer to your customers?
- It depends on the size and the complexity of the cake. We offer customers the opportunity to do cake tasting, cookie sampling and dessert table.
8. Where is your store front (if you have one)?
- Our bakery(restaurant and deli) are in Los Alamitos, CA, at 4470 Katella Avenue
9. Where do you see your business in 5 years?
- Hopefully this establishment will be around another 50 years.
10. What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow in your footsteps?
- Never give up. It is a lot of hard work and a lot of mistakes which is part of the trade; that is how you grow as a company and as an individual.
11. We know creating delicious goods takes a lot of patience and work, how do you balance personal life and your business?
- Balance comes from hiring great people, giving them clear directions and trusting them to do a great job. That way I can feel confident that the business will be fine in my absence.
How can readers/clients get in reach of you?