Kitchen Harmony Catering
1. Tell us about yourself! (Anything you want to share!)
I am a mother and athlete, teacher and caterer, competitive paddler and consummate multi-tasker! I love having a full plate; as long as it's full of fresh, organic, handcrafted food!
2. When did you start your business?
I started catering in 2005 when I left teaching to have my son. I realized I had a knack for organizing other people's kitchen spaces and was asked by so many clients if I cooked that I started a personal chef service. I also began catering weekly luncheons at LMU and other corporate businesses in the Los Angeles area as well as exploring the ways that dessert can fit into an active and healthy lifestyle.
3. What got you into desserts? What do you specialize?
For every client or event I catered, I looked for ways to incorporate dessert. I like the way it 'finishes' a meal experience and how good sweets can actually taste using organic ingredients that are kind to the planet. I focus on vegan and gluten-free options because it's such an exciting niche to work in. Plus, living in the South Bay, there are so many active, athletic and health-conscious people that finding ways to meet their needs is challenging and fun.
4. What does a typical day look like for you at work?
Because I stay busy as a mother, a work experience teacher with high school students, and a caterer, I don't have a 'typical day', but I am usually up by 4am everyday! I like the quiet and mental focus in the early morning hours and it allows me to start my day with a plan.
5. Do you cater to weddings and other events? If so, how many do you do in a month?
I've catered weddings, baby showers, birthdays, retirement parties, small gatherings, office openings, really anything where people gather and handcrafted food is valued. Events vary from once a week to once a month depending on the time of year. My most recent wedding was a full vegan menu for 200 guests. It was amazing!
6. What is the best part of your job?
The best part about catering is offering good food with quality ingredients that makes people wish they 'had the recipe'. I love that!
7. How long does it take to design and create a cake? What other products do you offer to your customers?
I focus on small, bite size sweet treats; it gives clients a chance to 'try this and that' and really savor flavors. It gives them an experience and taste rather than overload.
8. Where is your store front (if you have one)?
No store front!
9. Where do you see your business in 5 years?
In five years, I see my business continue to stay true to it's roots- fresh, organic and handcrafted, and specialized towards desserts that make clients feel happy.
10. What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow in your footsteps?
For someone new to the catering world, and to food in general, I would advise them to stay organized, curious and willing to take risks. If you find food interesting and want to explore healthy food as a taste experience, your clients will too!
11. We know creating delicious goods takes a lot of patience and work, how do you balance personal life and your business?
For me, the balance in catering and personal life isn't hard because I am always thinking about the handcrafted food experience and experimenting with my own tastes!
How can readers/clients get in reach of you?
Facebook: Kitchen Harmony Catering
Phone number: 310-261-0343